10 March 2023
Students usually want to pursue career opportunities in the same country where they have completed their education. One of the most popular educational destinations throughout the world is the UK. That’s why they prefer to get post study work visa in the UK.
The United Kingdom offers tremendous international exposure to international students, which in turn greatly increases their chances of accelerating their careers.
In recent years, the United Kingdom has been gaining popularity for overseas education. It is now one of the top three countries preferred by international students for their education.
The country has taken a lot of steps to encourage international students from a variety of backgrounds to complete their education in the UK and join the workforce of the country.
However, international students are required to apply for a Post Study Work Visa in the UK when their education is about to be complete if they want to work in the country.
Let us look at everything you need to know about the Post Study Work Visa:
What is the UK Post Study Work Visa?
This is essentially a temporary visa for international students. This visa allows international students to work in the UK once their education gets completed.
Students who have completed their undergraduate or graduate courses can stay back in the UK for two years at the most to search for a job with the UK Post Study Work Visa.
This means that international students who are studying in the UK will have the opportunity to explore their career opportunities as per their interests in the country without feeling pressured.
Who is eligible for the UK Post Study Work Visa?
The Visa is available to everyone, including international students of various origins who hold an immigration status in the country.
To be eligible for this visa, international students need to be enrolled at a UK Higher Education Provider-approved educational institute.
This helps the country encourage students who are enrolled in recognized colleges to stay back in the UK and contribute to the workforce.
There are also new fast-track visas being offered to science scholars who are studying in the UK to help them pursue research.
The country is quite focused on promoting mathematics, engineering, technology, and science programs (STEM courses) in addition to other courses among international students.
What are the eligibility criteria for the Study Work Visa?
The UK Post Study Work Visa allows international students to look for a job and work comfortably until they become eligible for a general work visa.
This is an exceptional opportunity for international students, and they need to be sure to apply for the same if they meet the eligibility criteria for the Post Study Work Visa.
Here are the eligibility criteria for the UK Post Study Work Visa:
- You must hold a tier-4 visa in the UK, and you must be enrolled in an approved higher education program that commenced after September 2020. Eligibility for the Visa is not restricted by nationality or field of education.
- You must hold a degree from a recognized establishment of higher education. The degree can be on any level, from undergraduate to postgraduate or doctoral.
- You need to be completely financially independent. This means that you should not be in need of any financial aid, and you should have a source of adequate funds when you apply for the Visa.
- The visa application should be submitted within a year of completing your educational program. You need to also look for employment and career opportunities during this time.
- For international students who have not obtained a degree in the English language, it is mandatory to take the IELTS. The minimum score that must be obtained is within the 6.5 bands of all four components in the test.
What is the process to obtain the Post Study Work Visa?
Here is the step-by-step process to obtain the UK Post Study Work Visa:
- Fill out your online UK Post Study Work Visa application form within a year of completing your education. You need to pay a fee of £715 to submit your application.
- Submit all relevant documents required as part of the application.
- Pay the applicable visa fee.
- Book an interview with the UK Consulate or the UK Embassy.
- During your visa interview, the officer will check your application and confirm the details that you have provided.
How long does the Post Study Work Visa stay active?
When international students obtain their UK Post Study Work Visa, they are allowed to stay and look for work in the country.
However, they are not permitted to engage in activities or work in fields that are not related to their primary field of education. The UK Post Study Work Visa expires after two years.
International students who wish to extend their stay in the country need to apply for a general work visa, also known as a Tier 2 Visa or a skilled work visa.
The minimum amount a candidate needs to earn to be eligible for a Tier 2 Visa is approximately £30,000 per year. This number can be less or more based on various job profiles.
The UK is one of the most preferred destinations for international students. Being one of the oldest countries in the world, the UK is home to some of the most prestigious colleges and universities globally.
You can avail yourself of world-renowned education while familiarizing yourself with rich cultures and traditions.
In addition to studying abroad in the UK, if you want to settle in the country, you need to apply for your UK work permit and complete the formalities of your application.
The UK Post Study Work Visa is a great way to stay in the country while you look for employment. International students are allowed to stay back for two years while they are looking for a job opportunity in their field of education.
This allows international students the chance to work in the UK after completing their degrees.