18 November 2023
Canada has some of the most popular medical universities and colleges worldwide. International students widely regard Canada to be one of the best countries to study medical courses. Canadian colleges and universities offer various medical courses for all levels of education, such as short courses, diplomas, and undergraduate medical programs. Here is everything you need to know about medical programs in Canada:
What are the requirements to be eligible for medical courses in Canada?
Here are some requirements that international students need to meet to gain admission in medical schools in Canada:
- For undergraduate programs, international students must have completed their 10+2 education in the science courses.
- International students are required to appear for a personal interview when they apply for admission.
- International students need to provide academic transcripts and updated CV.
- They also need to furnish scores for the MCAT test in order to be eligible for medical courses in Canada.
- For international students, it is mandatory to furnish scores for standardized language tests such as PTE, TOEFL, or IELTS.
Which medical diploma courses are available in Canada?
The medical diploma course in Canada generally takes about one to two years to complete. This program specifically focuses on particular specializations and skills. Here are some of the best medical Diploma available in Canada:
- Kinesiology Diploma
- Diploma in Dispensing Optician
- Diploma in Acupuncture
- Diploma in Health Information Management
- Diploma in Practical Nursing
- Diploma in Auxiliary Nursing Science
- Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance and Quality Control Diploma Program
- Diploma in Development Services Worker
- Clinical Research, Drug Safety and Pharmacovigilance Diploma Program
- Advanced Diploma in Dental Hygiene
- Diploma in Paramedic
- Chemical Addictions Worker Diploma
- Diploma in Pharmacy Technician
- Advanced Diploma in Medical Radiation Technology
- Diploma of Phytotherapy
- Diploma in Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
- Advanced Diploma in Child and Youth Care
- Diploma in Biotechnology-Health (BIOT)
- Cardiology Technologist
- Medical Office Administrator Diploma Programme
- Diploma of Holistic Nutrition
Which medical courses are available in Canada at the undergraduate level?
There is a wide variety of undergraduate medical courses that are available in academic institutes across Canada. Generally international students need to adhere to competitive criteria that is set by the admissions committee at educational organizations throughout the country. Here are the best medical courses that are available in Canada at the bachelor’s level:
- Sc Nursing
- MBBS or MD
- Bachelor of Dental Hygiene and Surgery
- Sc of Biology
What is the B.Sc Nursing course in Canada?
Bachelor of Science in Nursing is essentially a 4-year long degree course that is considered among the prevalent options after international students complete their high school science programs. Most colleges and universities in Canada have identical eligibility criteria for international students who wish to gain admission to B.Sc Nursing programs. After graduating from the B.Sc Nursing program in Canada, international students can get certified as professional nurses. International students can get certified by passing the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination. All provinces in Canada except Quebec recognize this examination.
Here are some of the best universities in Canada that offer B.Sc in Nursing:
- University of Calgary
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- Queen’s University at Kingston
- University of Ottawa
- Western University
What is the MBBS or MD course in Canada?
The medical colleges in Canada provide an MBBS or MD degree that maintains similar importance as an MBBS degree in other countries. There are approximately 60 academic organizations globally that provide courses across Canada. The MD program in medical courses in Canada generally takes up to three to five years to complete. The first year is a primary phase for candidates who do not hold a science degree. Hence, some medical courses in Canada can take up to 5 years to complete while international students who hold a degree in biology or a related field only need four years to graduate from an MD program. After graduating from the MBBS or MD program, international students can easily obtain medical residency in Canada and start working in medical organizations.
Here are some of the best universities in Canada that offer MBBS or MD programs:
- Trinity Western University
- University of Waterloo
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- Queen’s University
- University of Victoria
What are some other programs available for medical courses in Canada?
Here are some other medical programs that are available in Canada:
- Bachelor of Dental Hygiene and Surgery at the McGill University
- Bachelor of Dental Hygiene and Surgery at the University of Alberta Bachelor of Dental Hygiene and Surgery at the Dalhousie University Bachelor of Dental Hygiene and Surgery at the University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Dental Hygiene and Surgery at the Western University
- BHMS at the Ontario Colleges of Homeopathic Medicine
- BHMS at the Montreal Institute of Classical Homeopathy
- BHMS at the The School of Homeopathy
- BHMS at the Canadian College of Homeopathic Medicines
- BHMS at the Canadian Academy of Homeopathy
- Sc of Biology at the York University
- Sc of Biology at the Thompsons Rivers University
- Sc of Biology at the Laurentian University
- Sc of Biology at the Simon Fraser University
- Sc of Biology at the University of Prince Edward Island
International students primarily prefer Canada to study medical courses due to its incredible research options and world-renowned academia. International students can even acquire a work permit for three years once they graduate. International students who wish to study medical programs in Canada need to showcase their competency in science programs.