12 December 2023
When we talk about studying in another country, the United States is usually the first choice. It has many of the best universities globally and is known for its excellent education and big campuses.
People often like to study subjects related to arts, literature, and also science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) in the US.
Although studying there can be more expensive than in some other countries, the yearly tuition at good US universities is around $40,000 to $50,000 (not including health insurance, housing, and other costs).
But there are ways to get money to help pay for your education, like scholarships. In this blog, we’ll explore different scholarships for getting a Master’s degree in the USA.
Overview of Scholarships for MS in the USA
These scholarships are for smart students from different countries who want to study in the US and use its good education system. There are two main types of scholarships for MS in the USA, depending on how much money they give:
Fully Funded Scholarships:
Some top scholarships for international students cover all the big costs. This includes tuition (the money you pay for classes), where you stay, a monthly amount of money, the cost of your flights (to and from your home country), and some other expenses. These scholarships are very popular, but only a few students get them.
Partially Funded Scholarships:
These scholarships are to encourage students to use the good education in the US. They cover some costs, like tuition where you stay, or sometimes both.
There are also scholarships from the government. Every year, the US government gives money to smart international students so they can be part of the exciting learning environment and help with research and new ideas in the country.
Fully Funded Scholarships for MS in the USA
This scholarship is for international students studying for a master’s degree.
It pays for all your living costs, academic fees, tuition, and travel expenses.
Just like the Stanford University Scholarship, it fully covers the expenses for international students pursuing a master’s degree.
Yale University extends a fully funded scholarship opportunity to international students.
The scholarship amount varies, ranging from a few hundred dollars to over $70,000 annually, encompassing diverse expenses.
The Fulbright Program, a renowned government-funded initiative, offers scholarships to international students.
It supports graduate students pursuing studies in the US for up to one year, excluding medical fields.
Designed for exceptional Indian scholars pursuing master’s degrees in the USA, this scholarship is comprehensive.
It covers tuition fees, accommodation, stipends, airfare, and other associated expenses.
Rotary International selects 100 individuals globally, with 50 undertaking master’s degrees in the US.
The fellowship covers tuition, accommodation, airfare, and internship costs, and provides a monthly stipend.
These scholarships, considered prestigious, alleviate the financial burden for students pursuing their Master’s degrees in the USA by covering essential expenses.
Other Scholarships – Partially Funded
If you’re searching for more ways to reduce the cost of your tuition, consider these scholarships:
For those wanting to study MS in the USA, especially if they come from underdeveloped nations and can’t afford education. It offers a mix of a grant and a loan, covering 50% of the expenses. Repayment is required, and there’s a 5% annual service fee.
A co-guarantor or parent must sign the loan contract, and repayment is due five years after finishing the course. Applicants must live in a country with Aga Khan Education Services, and those under 30 are given preference.
Google extends the Generation Google Scholarship to students in the field of computer science, offering a generous $10,000. To qualify, recipients must secure admission as full-time students in a master’s program, boast a robust academic history, and focus their studies on computer science or related disciplines.
Established in 1917, the AAUW International Fellowships aim to empower women as leaders by providing financial assistance for studies in the US.
This scholarship awards $1800 to five international women enrolled in full-time graduate programs. Eligibility criteria include holding an academic degree and presenting valid English language proficiency scores.
Introduced in 2015, a British Council program provides scholarships worth $11,900.
If tuition is less, the remaining amount is given for living expenses.
It requires enrollment in a postgraduate program in the USA a valid Test Report Form (TRF) and an international student identity card.
Established in 2002 to assist academically gifted youngsters with up to USD 25,000 in interest-free financing.
This scholarship awards about $25 million annually to help 20 students.
Eligible students must qualify for a need-based scholarship and have a letter of acceptance from the university.
Scholarships Offered by US Universities
- Merit-based grant offering partial tuition waivers for international postgraduate students.
- $5,000 is required per semester with excellent academic records as eligibility.
- Various scholarships are awarded based on GPAs and test results.
- Sushil Jajodia Indian Student Scholarship: $3,000 per year.
- Merit-based program with options like the Dean’s Scholarship covering all tuition costs.
- Public Service Scholarship provides partial or half scholarships based on overall merit.
- Merit-based scholarship for graduate program applicants.
- Award: $5,000 per academic year.
- Merit-based scholarships for international students.
- Awards range from $18,000 to $25,000 annually for eight semesters, considering the student’s entire profile.
How to Apply for MS Scholarships in the US
- Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for the desired scholarship.
- Obtain the required language test score specified by the university offering the scholarship.
- Emphasize leadership and volunteering skills in your application.
- Include all relevant achievements and publications to strengthen your application.
- Write a compelling Statement of Purpose (SOP) in advance.
- Collect strong Letters of Recommendation to support your application.
How to Increase Your Chances of Getting a Scholarship for MS in the USA
- Submit applications meticulously due to limited MS-based scholarships.
- Certain universities award scholarships based on the completeness of applications and candidate profiles.
- Increase your chances by applying to multiple scholarship opportunities.
- Ensure flawless essays when required by universities.
- Strengthen your application with well-referenced content.
- Double-check all material for accuracy while avoiding spelling and grammar errors.
Hope this article has helped you understand the ins and outs of Scholarships for MS in the US. If things are still not clear or you want to know more, get in touch with our US study consultants now!