20 October 2022 landmark
MS or Master of Science is one of the most popular degrees offered by universities and colleges in the US. The competition can seem a little tough, but the advantages of obtaining an MS from the US are worth the trouble. Let us look at some facts about studying MS in the US.
Why should you go for MS in the US?
Here are some of the top reasons to go to the US for your MS:
- Avail plenty of research opportunities under some of the best scientists and professors in the world. The US education system is designed around practical experience and research.
- Gain lots of practical hands-on experience that helps you in getting in-depth knowledge in your domain.
- Open yourself up to a lot of variety, with options to pursue your hobbies and interests. There are a lot of choices in MS courses available, and you can take up the subjects that you like studying.
- There are a lot of scholarships available for MS in the US to help international students in securing the best education. There are also many assistant-ship programs available that help you in administering your research in the university or teaching while you are still studying.
- Many leading employers throughout the world place high importance if you have completed your MS from the US.
What are the eligibility criteria?
Generally, to apply for your MS course in the US, you need to fulfill certain criteria. This can differ in different universities, but overall here are the minimum requirements:
- Letters of recommendation from your bachelor’s or from your previous employers
- Statement of purpose that outlines your educational and work history and how you are a great candidate for MS in a particular institution
- A minimum GRE score of 290
- Standardized language test scores for either TOEFL or IELTS
- Average marks from 65 to 70 per cent during your bachelor’s
- Completion of bachelor’s degree in the field that you want to pursue MS
- 16 years of education prior to your application
- Research projects or any published papers
What are the most popular MS courses in the US?
There are a lot of different courses available that you can choose when you are determined to apply. Here are some of the most popular courses for MS in the US, particularly for international students:
- MS in Architecture
- MS in Pharmacology
- MS in Robotics
- MS in Artificial Intelligence
- MS in Bioinformatics
- MS in Biotechnology
- MS in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- MS in Cyber-security
- MS in Internet Technology
- MS in Computer Science
- MS in Data Science
The US universities that offer these courses are well-recognized throughout the world and hold an impressive graduate employ-ability quotient.
What is the procedure to pursue your MS in the US?
Here is an overview of the step-wise process to pursue your MS in the US as an international student:
- Appear for the required tests such as GRE and TOEFL or IELTS.
- Shortlist universities based on your application, score, and preference
- Apply to universities that you have shortlisted
- Secure an admission
- Get your I-20 form that is issued by the university that you are taking admission in. This form makes you eligible for a non-immigrant student visa in the US.
- Apply for your US student visa
- Submit your bio-metrics at a VAC or the Visa Application Center
- Appear for your visa interview at the US Consulate or Embassy
When studying abroad, getting an MS in the US is one of the best choices for international students. You can accelerate your career greatly, learn from the top people in your field, obtain brilliant career opportunities, and even get an H-1B visa.