1 October 2021 landmark
Are you looking to study MBBS in the USA?
Well, you have made the right decision as the USA offers the most valued medical programs in the world. Many international students look to pursue MBBS from the USA. It is also worth mentioning that some of the world’s eminent research institutions are located in the nation.
Moreover, the USA is counted among the top nations with the best education system in the world. The nation has great opportunities for research and development in every field.
The USA has a different medical education system. After a student pursued a medical degree course in the USA, they don’t need to opt for any exam to practice in India.
And keep in mind that the medical degree in the USA is known as MD (Doctor of Medicine), NOT MBBS. (But for your convenience, we will address it MBBS throughout the blog.)
Here we will cover the important information about doing MBBS in the USA.
Benefits of Pursuing MBBS in the USA at a Glance
- High-quality medical education
- Medical professionals from the USA are always in demand across the world
- No additional fee is required other than the course fee
- Opting for NMC screening Test in India is not required
- Part-time jobs are available for students while studying medicine
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS in the USA
- You should have a minimum of 50% marks in the 12th standard from any recognized board with Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
- If you have less than50%, you need to opt for the entrance test.
- If you don’t have Physics, Chemistry and Biology at your 12th standard, you need to opt for a pre-medical year.
- To get admission to MMBS in the USA, you must have studied the pre-medical course/Bachelor of Science.
- English proficiency tests such as IELTS or TOEFL are required.
- MCAT or Medical College Admission Test is also required to pursue MBBS in the USA. It is a computer-based test consisting of multiple-choice questions to assess the aptitude, reasoning and comprehension skills of a student looking to study medicine in the USA. It is 7.5 hours long test and is conducted 15 times a year.
- Clearing the NEET test is also mandatory to study MBBS abroad. But the test is not required if you are looking to practice outside India.
What Documents to Submit for MBBS in the USA
- Academic study documents
- English proficiency tests such IELTS or TOEFL certificates
- Valid passport
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Criminal background check
- Student visa
- Passport size of photographs
What is the Cost of Pursuing MBBS in the USA?
The cost of MBBS in the USA varies based on the university you study. However, the average cost of studying MBBS in the USA can be between 24,000 USD (nearly 18 Lakhs in Indian currency) to 66,000 USD (49,48,000 Lakhs).
Good thing is that many medical schools and eminent universities in the USA and other organizations provide scholarships to help students financially.
What is the Duration of MBBS in the USA?
The MBBS in the USA is a 4-year program and the Indian students are allowed to practice for 3-7 years under the residency program.
Understanding the Admission Process in the MBBS (MD) in the USA
- Choose the universities and fill their admission application form online.
- Appear for the Medical College Admission Test or MCAT.
- Once you pass the MCAT with a good score, apply to the medical colleges for admission for the MBBS in the USA.
- Attach a Letter of Recommendation with other documents with your application form.
- Once your application is approved, apply for a US study visa.