25 January 2023
Germany is among the most popular educational hubs for international students. Since the country offers a robust educational system as well as many career opportunities, a lot of students prefer to study abroad in Germany.
The country also provides both need and merit-based scholarships and offers affordable tuition fees. All of these features attract international students to Germany.
Germany typically offers two intakes, one in the summer and one in the winter. Let us look at the timelines for summer intakes in Germany.
Which are the Primary Intakes in Germany?
There are two significant intakes offered in Germany:
- Summer Intake: The summer intake is also known as the April Intake. It starts in March or April, based on the year in question, and lasts till September. Summer intake is considered the secondary intake in Germany.
- Winter Intake: The winter intake is also known as the September/October Intake. It starts in September or October, based on the year in question, and lasts till March. Winter intake is considered the primary intake in Germany.
What are the primary factors to keep in mind when applying for summer intake in Germany?
When you are thinking about applying for the Summer Intake in Germany, it is essential to keep the following factors in mind:
- Application Deadlines: Although the application deadline depends on the university in question, generally, it falls in December or January. The deadline is usually a few months before the beginning of the semester. It is vital to ensure that you are aware of particular deadlines for programs and universities that you are applying to.
- Limited Course Availability: In Germany, all programs and courses are not necessarily available during summer intake. International students should ideally do their research and ensure the availability of the course that they are interested in.
- Visa Requirements: International students might have various visa requirements as well as processing times. This means that you should plan accordingly and keep enough time to ensure that you meet all the requirements of the summer intake. You may also have to check the specifications of your visa application process for summer intake.
- Accommodation: Student accommodation may not be readily available during summer intake. It is important for international students to secure accommodation early.
- Pre-Courses: Summer intake generally comprises some essential pre-courses designed for international students. These are mandatory to complete before you take regular courses. The nature of these courses generally includes cultural courses, language courses, and even courses related to your field.
- Language proficiency requirement: A lot of courses are taught in German. It is recommended to have a good grasp of the language.
Which universities in Germany offer summer intake?
Here are some universities in Germany that offer summer intake:
Which programs in Germany are offered in the summer intake?
- Engineering: Programs in civil, chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineering are generally available for summer intake.
- Science: Programs in science fields such as biology, computer science, chemistry, mathematics, and physics are provided by a lot of different universities when they offer summer intake.
- Business and Economics: Programs are generally available in the field of management, economics, and business administration in summer intake.
- Technology: Programs are available in technology fields like renewable energy, telecommunications, and IT during summer intake.
- Humanities and Social Sciences: Programs are available in fields like international relations, sociology, political science, and history in summer intake.
- Language and Cultural Studies: Many universities even provide cultural studies and German language programs in summer intake to help international students in getting ready for an academic year.
What is the policy for waiving tuition fees in Germany?
Germany is famous for its guideline for waiving tuition costs for students who are enrolled in public universities. This policy is applicable to both international students as well as German students.
The objective of this policy is to make higher education affordable for students who want to study abroad in Germany, despite their background.
Does Germany offer financial aid for international students?
Germany offers various kinds of financial aid for international students. This is designed to help international students enrolled in German colleges cover their tuition fees and living expenses comfortably.
- Scholarships: There are several scholarships open for international students. These scholarships are offered by both private organizations and the German government. The nature of these scholarships can be anything from financial need, merit-based, to a particular country of origin or field of education.
- DAAD Scholarship: DAAD stands for the German Academic Exchange Service. It is an autonomous society that offers scholarships for international students. They provide scholarships for researchers, PhD students, graduates, and undergraduates.
- Student Loans: International students are also eligible to apply for student educational loans from German banks. These loans are easily provided to cover living expenses. Many loans might need a German citizen to be the co-signer. Students could also apply if they do not have a cosigner.
- Part-Time Jobs: International students are allowed to work when they are studying in Germany. Part-time jobs help students in covering their day-to-day expenses. International students can work up to 180 half days or 90 full days per year.
Germany is a preferred country for international students due to its tremendous job opportunities and healthy economy. The country features a manufacturing industry that is among the best in the world.
Germany is also a world leader in terms of export which offers international students an opportunity to work in various fields.
International students can also pursue technology and innovation after graduating and get experience in leading industries.
It is important to do your research carefully and decide the most appropriate course that is well-aligned with your career aspirations. It is also important to focus on the application process and the respective timelines.
For queries related to Study abroad in Germany, contact our experts at Landmark Immigration.