13 January 2023
We have all been there, prepared with all responses and explanations until someone asks “tell me about yourself”. It can’t get any more nerve-wracking than this. As you prepare for your college interview, you must be prepared to answer the question.
You may have heard this question asked in an interview before and wondered how to answer it. This article will explain what “Tell me about yourself” means and how best to respond when it is asked.
Why do interviewers ask this question?
The “Tell me about yourself” question is used to get to know you better. It helps the interviewer understand your personality and goals, as well as what you bring to the table. Your statement of purpose is not enough to clarify your ideals. In the end, what you say and show, will make all the difference.
Interviewers want to get a sense of how well-rounded and interesting you are, so they’ll ask this question early on in an interview.
They may even ask it multiple times throughout an entire process—for example, if there’s something important about their university or a specific course that isn’t covered by other questions yet needs further explanation from applicants who have already answered most or all of them (e.g., why did you choose this college? What was your goal when applying?).
What does this question mean?
The first thing to remember is that “Tell me about yourself” is a very broad question. This means that you are being asked to describe your background, why you want to attend the school, and what makes you unique.
It can be a great opportunity for students who want their colleges to know more about their interests and passions in life. This question holds a casual approach that transpires to a formal, logical framework.
How to answer “Tell me about yourself?”
When you are asked “tell me about yourself” in a college interview, there is no need to be stressed out. Here are some tips on how to answer this common question:
- Have an answer ready. It’s important that you know what you want to say so that when the time comes, your mind is not blank and full of thoughts that could make or break your chances of getting accepted into the college of your choice. The best way to do this is by practicing!
Spend time thinking about what makes YOU unique and interesting so that when someone asks “Tell me about yourself,” instead of stuttering over words with no meaning behind them (and possibly making everyone else uncomfortable).
- Practice makes perfect – but only if it’s done right! If possible before going into an interview situation where someone might ask something similar; then again afterward too when reviewing notes from previous interviews/applications etc.
- Never begin with- Myself/My name is. Everybody on the panel knows your name and where you hail from. Instead, begin your answer with “My passion for XYZ got me into..” or “I graduated with my degree in”.
Begin with your past, and stick to the present while briefly describing your future plans. The aim is how the college or university is the perfect fit for your journey. Tailor your response in a way that makes you an impressive and promising candidate.
- These days technology has made it easier because now there are countless resources available online including video tutorials that show exactly how certain questions should be answered properly without any ambiguity whatsoever. But remember to use these videos as inspiration only. Do not cram the answer line by line or it won’t be a success.
- Make sure your response is the right balance of flattery and relevant logical information. In the end, they should be convinced of the following-
- You are the right fit for the university.
- You are on the right path and have chosen the ideal stream for yourself.
- Your passion aligns with your academic and career goals.
- Your personality will hit the right note with the environment of the campus and environment.
- Your strengths and weaknesses demonstrate you as a capable candidate.
Be ready for your college interview by understanding the purpose of the question, having an answer prepared, and practicing before the interview.
Whether you are applying to college or getting a new job, the “Tell Me About Yourself” question can be difficult. In these situations, it is important to have an answer prepared in advance so that you don’t have to waste time thinking of something on the spot.
This will help ensure that your interview goes smoothly and allows for more focus on other questions asked during the process!
Do you have more doubts about such questions asked during a college interview? Contact experts at Landmark Immigration!